Facebook icon
 
 
Logo of Hong Kong Museum of History
 
 

Past Exhibitions

 

Introduction

City of Victoria – Historical Photographs of Hong Kong

18/2/1999 – 8/8/1999

Before the inception of Hong Kong, most of the villagers dwelled on the southern side of the Island. As population increased after the opening of Hong Kong as a seaport, the Government started to develop parts of the northern shore to provide more land to settle new immigrants.

During the hundred years from 1841 to 1941, reclamations in different scales were conducted in Central District, Sheung Wan, Wan Chai, Kennedy Town and Causeway Bay, etc. The newly reclaimed lands were used for both the residential and commercial purposes, and the boundary of the city extended continuously.

In 1903, the Government marked out the boundaries of Victoria by erecting boundary stones; it stretched from Kennedy Town in the west to Causeway Bay in the east. Meanwhile, the Chinese had different names for the northern part of the Island, calling it "Four Circuits and Nine Yeuks". The area actually roughly corresponded to the official boundary of Victoria City announced by the Government.

In this exhibition, we attempt to introduce the development of Central District, Sheung Wan, Western District, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay and the Mid-Levels prior to the Second World War by photographs from the Museum's Collection. As we are approaching the end of the 20th century, it is enlightening to study these photographs, and see how Hong Kong has changed and developed in the course of time.